Monday, March 13, 2006

Some Ryan Adams mp3s



I'm very into Ryan at the moment, partly due to having seen him at the Apollo Victoria a couple of weeks ago. Here are some choice mp3s from the "Bedhead" series of bootlegs, some being from shows I was lucky enough to attend...


"Helpless" with Gillian Welch, Nashville 1999
One of my absolute favourite Adams recordings. He does a hell of a Neil Young impression, but it's unquestionably gorgeous, and Gillian adds her own special touch.


"Hard Way To Fall" from Tilburg, NL 2002
An early solo version of this gem from Jacksonville City Nights.

"Sweetest Decline" from Dublin 2002
I'm also enjoying Beth Orton at the moment. Ryan has certainly held a candle to her over the years, and this is a beautifully fragile version of one of her best songs.

"
World War 24", Brixton Academy 9th April 2002
The first time I and many other people heard this song. The strings are a little out of tune and the lyrics are far from finished - he could well have written it while drunk and fucked up with Beth Orton on this very London visit.

"Jacksonville Skyline" from Kentish Town 2003
Unquestionably the oddest RA gig I've seen. He played RnR pretty much start to finish, most of the crowd gave up and went home and then he came out and played a spellbinding solo set for about an hour. Crazy man.

"One By One" from Cambridge 2004
From one of the best Adams gigs I've been to, despite being part of the Rock N Roll tour and his crazy orange haircut. This unrecorded song was the opening number.


No comments: