Tuesday, October 11, 2005

The Editors @ the Astoria (10/10/05)

I went to see one of those hot new-fangled bands last night, The Editors, at London's Astoria. Someone had a spare ticket. I kind of put them in the same bracket as Franz Ferdinand, The Killers, The Thrills, Hard-Fi etc etc; all the fashionable bands that my workmates seem to listen to. You know the sort of thing; choppy guitars, get to the chorus within 20 seconds of the song starting, drainpipe jeans and all that gas.

They were actually pretty good fun. We stood upstairs, which was a novel experience at the Astoria when I've nearly always been on the sweaty floor. It meant we had better access to the bar though. They were fairly no-nonsense, just running through the dozen or songs they have in just under an hour, with no real chat between songs, and seemingly (though I'm not overly familiar with their songs) not much "exploration" of the songs. But that doesn't seem to be the way at the moment. It's bizarre - if I was 16 or 17 right now, they would probably be one of my favourite bands right now, but since I seem to be impervious to fads I find it hard to care that much. It's good to go to the occasional loud, sweaty rock gig though - it's almost as good as a game of squash for a stress reliever...

No comments: